Sunday, April 2, 2017

Women & Forced Sterilization

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/sites/default/files/against-her-will-20111003.pdf

Hello friends,

This is the article we had to read on eCampus about women and forced/coerced sterilization. I honestly had no idea that these practices are still happening as often as they are in the United States, and it's sickening to me how they are brought out. In my eyes, this is a form of controlling women's bodies for the sake of eugenics and having a way to pick out the people who are deemed "unfit" for society. But why are those who are sterilized mostly women? Why are they mostly lower class with disabilities? Instead of blaming & PUNISHING these women for their situation, why don't we look at the institutions that FAIL them and land them in their current circumstances?

Let me know what you think. I'm seething, to be quite honest.

-Julie

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100%. No one except for the woman should have control over her own body. Reading this honestly made me so mad because be a mother is a big part of many women's lives and if they are forced to be sterilized then they're taking a way that woman's rights. It should be up to the people physically involved in creating the child to decide what they want to do.

    ReplyDelete